CSD Uppsala promotes research and research education that critically explores, investigates and analyzes relations within and between social, cultural, economic and ecological systems, in terms of access to and use of natural resources, power structures and social and environmental conditions, highlighting also the interdependence of the global north and the global south. This involves generating transdisciplinary insights into the obstacles and possibilities for increasing global and intergenerational equity while preserving our ecological resource base.
To meet present and future sustainability challenges, a transdisciplinary and transformative approach is needed, which truly involves resource users and key stakeholders into the research process. CSD Uppsala therefore brings together scholars, researchers and stakeholders from all fields of science and society to study these issues – from local to national and global levels – in a transdisciplinary research environment.
Zennström Visiting Professorship in Climate Change Leadership at Uppsala University
With a 10-year series of visiting professorships, Zennström Philanthropies and Uppsala University are enabling the development of an enviromment that will directly address some of the most challenging questions that climate change poses to humanity, develop novel solutions, and enable transformative change in the nexus of science, policy and innovation. The professors will in distinct but mutually reinforcing ways, inspire new research and education and catalyze the much needed action toward a more sustainable future.
Read more at www.csduppsala.se/ccleadership
CEMUS Research Forum (CEFO)
CEFO is a transdisciplinary research forum open to researchers and PhD-students at Uppsala University, SLU and other universities in Sweden. CEFO activities focus on environment, development and sustainability studies. We collaborate with other universities and departments to enrich research education through our transdisciplinary Sustainability Seminars, PhD courses, workshops, lectures and field trips. CEFO was initiated by PhD-students, staff and students at CEMUS in 2002 as a research school between Uppsala University and Swedish Agricultural University (SLU).
Read more at www.csduppsala.se/cefo
Conferences, Symposiums, Workshops
We continually organize different thematic research conferences, symposiums and workshops, some examples are:
- April 6-8, 2016, ClimateExistence 2016 together with the Sigtuna Foundation, read more at www.climateexistence.se
- October 1-3, 2013, The Intersection of Society and Nature in Sustainability Research, read more at www.csduppsala.uu.se/2013/society-nature-research-conference/
- November 1-3, 2010, ClimateExistence 2010, read more at www.climateexistence.se/previous-conferences/
- 20-22 November 2009, Counter Nature(s): Revising Nature in an Era of Environmental Crisis, International symposium, Uppsala, Sweden.
- March 6-8, 2008, ClimateExistence 2008, read more at www.climateexistence.se/previous-conferences/
- 2008-2012, The Development Research Network on Nature, Poverty and Power, DevNet, download the final report and appendix
Research Projects and Publications
There’s a wide variety of different research projects (ongoing and past) and publications published, if you want collaborate with us on an application or be part of a project please see the contact page, and read more below.