CSD Uppsala promotes research and research education that critically explores, investigates and analyzes relations within and between social, cultural, economic and ecological systems, in terms of access to and use of natural resources, power structures and social and environmental conditions, highlighting also the interdependence of the global north and the global south. This involves generating transdisciplinary insights into the obstacles and possibilities for increasing global and intergenerational equity while preserving our ecological resource base.
To meet present and future sustainability challenges, a transdisciplinary and transformative approach is needed, which truly involves resource users and key stakeholders into the research process. CSD Uppsala therefore brings together scholars, researchers and stakeholders from all fields of science and society to study these issues – from local to national and global levels – in a transdisciplinary research environment.
Zennström Visiting Professorship in Climate Change Leadership at Uppsala University
With a 10-year series of visiting professorships, Zennström Philanthropies and Uppsala University are enabling the development of an enviromment that will directly address some of the most challenging questions that climate change poses to humanity, develop novel solutions, and enable transformative change in the nexus of science, policy and innovation. The professors will in distinct but mutually reinforcing ways, inspire new research and education and catalyze the much needed action toward a more sustainable future.
Read more at www.csduppsala.se/ccleadership
- 2014-2015, Gloria Gallardo: Global Marine Governance Network – Co-constructing Sustainable Fisheries Future (JUSTMAR NETWORK)
- 2016-2018, Gloria Gallardo: Co-constructing a Sustainable Fisheries Future through TURF. A comparison between Vietnam and Chile
- 2012-2015, Gloria Gallardo: Mining and reindeer herding conflicts in the Swedish Subarctic
- 2011-2013, Ashok Swain, Joakim Öjendal, Anders Jägerskog, Stina Hansson: Changing Parameters for Hydropolitics in Light of Global Climate Change: The Governance of Transboundary Waters to meet the Water
- Ashok Swain: Climate Change, Natural Resource Governance and Conflict Prevention in Africa
- 2011-2013, Roland Kostic, Ashok Swain, Florian Krampe: Sustainable State-Building? – Assessing Energy Development Projects in Kosovo and Nepal
- 2009-2012, Heidi Moksnes: Living Without Rights: Undocumented Migrants and the Boundaries of Citizenship
- 2009-2010, Gloria Gallardo, Maria Hauck: Small-scale fisheries governance in South Africa and Chile
- 2008-2010, Torbjörn Rydberg: Sustainable Global Patterns of Production and Consumption: Current Problems and Future Possibilities (GloPat)
- Daniel Bergqvist: SusUrbia – Sustainable Urban Life beyond Peak Oil
- 2007-2010, Gloria Gallardo: Beyond private and public property. Territorial use rights to fisheries (TURFS) as a sustainable solution to manage threatened sedentary marine resources. The Chilean case
CEMUS Research Forum, CEFO – Sustainability Seminar and Research Education
CEFO is an inter- and transdisciplinary research forum for PhD-students and researchers that focuses on environment, development and sustainability studies. We collaborate with other universities and departments in giving PhD-courses and research education. CEFO was initiated by PhD-students, staff and students at CEMUS in 2002 as a reseacrh school between Uppsala University and SLU.
Read more at www.csduppsala.se/cefo
Conferences, Symposiums, Workshops and Networks
We continually organize different thematic research conferences, symposiums and workshops, some examples are:
- April 6-8, 2016, ClimateExistence 2016 together with the Sigtuna Foundation, read more at www.climateexistence.se
- 2013-2015, People, Nature and Sustainability Network. Environmental humanities, social and natural sciences perspectives on the development of the Arctic and Sub-Arctic region.
- October 1-3, 2013, The Intersection of Society and Nature in Sustainability Research, read more at www.csduppsala.uu.se/2013/society-nature-research-conference/
- November 1-3, 2010, ClimateExistence 2010, read more at www.climateexistence.se/previous-conferences/
- 20-22 November 2009, Counter Nature(s): Revising Nature in an Era of Environmental Crisis, International symposium, Uppsala, Sweden.
- March 6-8, 2008, ClimateExistence 2008, read more at www.climateexistence.se/previous-conferences/
- 2008-2012, The Development Research Network on Nature, Poverty and Power, DevNet